SV: Information and Natural Languages

From: Brier S�ren <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 09 Dec 1997 - 10:37:18 CET

Dear Koichiro and Raphael

I can't help pointing out that it is the position of second order
cybernetics to take the cognition of differences in the 'outside' by a
living system as the point of departure for a theory of information as a
"difference that makes a difference". The minimum requirement for this
process to appear is that we have an autopoietic system. So the whole
definition of information is tied to the notion of an 'observer'.
Therefore what we have 'outside' can only be 'potential information'.
This is one of the main reasons that I disagree with Tom Stonier in his
view of objective information and 'infons'.

Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

Assoc. Prof. Ph. D. S�ren Brier
Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch
Langagervej 4, DK-9220 Aalborg �st
Telephone: +45 98 157922 , Fax: +45 98 151042
Homepage: http://www.db.dk/dbaa/sbr/home_uk.htm
Ed. & Publisher of Cybernetics & Human Knowing