Re: Information and Natural Languages

From: Rafael Capurro, Professor <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 10 Dec 1997 - 15:05:01 CET

Dear Soeren, dear Koichiro,

the question is what does it mean to be an observer? or, in other
words, what is the ontological status of a non-observer. If to be an
observer means 'to be outside', does this mean that there are
entities which are 'per se' not outside? I am thinking about the
difference made by Luhmann between a system and the surrounding world
(Umwelt). Luhmann conceives systems as living (!) systems, and
particurlarly as socio-psychic systems (see article by Quortrup in
Soeren's journal: Cybernetics and Human Knowing). Is the difference
between System/World something similar (!) for instance to Heidegger'
s ontological difference?
My question concerns also the status of autopoietical systems as
living systems.
Kind regards
Rafael