SV: Information and Natural Languages

From: Brier S�ren <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 11 Dec 1997 - 12:54:13 CET

Dear Koichiro

You write: "My observers are exclusively internal, even including
myself.
There is no such a non-observer out there."

I guess that all observers are internal to the universe? Aren't they.
Laplaces demon is dead.

Now everybody agree that an important part of the universe consists of
observers: the living systemseven in the standard scientific
(physicalistic) world view.

One of the questions is if we will ever be able to form a consisten
theory of the development of life and consciousness and thereby
consistent with our own epistemology in this ontology. I seriously doubt
it.

Are we not forced to consider all systems we observe as observing
systems? That means that a stone or an elementary particle is an
observer, but on a much lower level that languaging self-conscious
social humans. We recognize animals as observers on a lower scale than
humans. But so far the scientific world view has stopped there, mainly
because of physicalism.

Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

Assoc. Prof. Ph. D. S�ren Brier
Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch
Langagervej 4, DK-9220 Aalborg �st
Telephone: +45 98 157922 , Fax: +45 98 151042
Homepage: http://www.db.dk/dbaa/sbr/home_uk.htm
Ed. & Publisher of Cybernetics & Human Knowing