SV: SV: Information and Natural Languages

From: Brier S�ren <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 12 Dec 1997 - 12:52:43 CET

Dear Rafael

I did not say that the universe was an autopoietic system. The problem
in evolutionary theory is that if one believes in it then life has
arisen from the universe and some kind of continuation must exist
between the universe and the living beings according to the present
theories that find evidence that life was created after the Big Bang. So
some parts of the universe is turning into observing systems. Many of
our present theories indicate that the universe is a whole and all
entities are connected by different kinds of fields (much as Aristotle
saw it). I wonder how Heidegger's theory relates to this.

Now I think the Heidegger discriminates between the universe (the
attempt on a scientific description) and the world (of meaningful
relationships we live in), and that is the point you want to make.

As a biologist and ethologist I want to claim that living systems also
live in such a world. I will also like to claim that the theory of
evolution is in accordance with Heidegger's philosophy as it is an ever
developing knowledge.

I do have problems when scientists make evolutionary theory a physical
materialistic theory and thereby make a reductionist scientific
knowledge claim of unnecessary strong metaphysical character.

I do not know why you say that I postulate pseudo-subjectivity? I rather
claim a hyloistic point of view as Peirce (and as Aristotle did but
without a material evolutionary theory). What is your ontological point
of departure that finds this offensive as so many materialistic
scientists?

I cannot help noticing from our discussions that the scientific and
even more the biological knowledge does not seem to play any significant
role in your thinking. Although I enjoy your classical and humanistic
knowledge this bothers me. All your views are very human centered. That
is also OK, but you have somehow to reflect upon our scientific
knowledge. But may be you think that science should not or cannot say
anything significant about the human condition and origin? Somewhere we
do not meet because of some difference in background assumptions. I
mentioned this because I have had similar experiences with other
humanist - that we are "worlds" apart.

I have not forgotten yet to pay my Xmas homage to the archangel of
philosophy in some material symbolic form. Thank you for the wishes.

Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

Assoc. Prof. Ph. D. S�ren Brier
Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch
Langagervej 4, DK-9220 Aalborg �st
Telephone: +45 98 157922 , Fax: +45 98 151042
Homepage: http://www.db.dk/dbaa/sbr/home_uk.htm
Ed. & Publisher of Cybernetics & Human Knowing