SV: INFOPOIESIS

From: Brier S�ren <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 14 Dec 1997 - 00:55:41 CET

Dear Pedro

Thanks for these constructive ponderings.

Going down to the smallest difference we can measure in physics can be
seen as an attempt to give an objective answer to the possible amounts
of "differences" in the world. This seems to be relevant as we know
sense organs in different animals - and for instance our own eyes - that
seems to be able to react to single quanta, for instance of light. The
sensitivity of the brain on quantum levels is also discussed in studies
of brain and consciousness. But two things should be considered:

1. We react to change in patterns. Patterns are combinations of
differences. So if we want to count possible numbers of relevant
differences they will be pontiated by the combinations they go into.

2. In Peirce's semiotics I would put differences as secondness. An
important point for Peirce is that we only get knowledge through
thirdness (regularity, habit, law, logic) where we give meaning to
difference by attaching a sign through the establishing of an
interpretant. My point is that this is the difference that makes a
difference (to an autopoietic system)

So I would accept the idea of "a grain". but it only give us a very week
idea of a frame of possibilities for making information. Or Tom would
say that this is the information out of which we make meaning. But the
grain is not organisation!?

        Further you write:
I would say Tom prefers "objectivism" (sci. truth) and "materialism"
(particles) and Soeren"constructivism" (social construc), and
"theoretical-structuralism" theories and relationships instead of
"particles").

I can see objectivism and constructivism as to different epistemologies,
as I do pertain to some kind of realism I am rather a 'critical
constructivst' or rather more close to Peirce's 'pragmaticism' (not
James or Devey's pragmatism).

I would believe that Tom is a kind of materialistic atomist, maybe even
a mechanicist. But I would prefer to see him describe his own ontology!

I do not know the concept of 'theoretical- structuralism' and do not
understand how one can have an ontology of 'theories and relationships'.
If you had written 'processes and relationships' it would have been
closer. Maybe that was your intention? Which bring us to creation and
destruction in an ever ongoing evolution as you describe it. Patterns
and systems are created tested and some destructed and new ones made.

You talk of language on different levels. So far we recognize natural
human languages and formal languages. To speak of language we normally
demand syntax and generative ability to create meaningful sentences.
Wittgenstein speaks of language games related to life forms as the basis
for establishing signification. So I would not say that animals have
languages - as this offends most linguists and philosophers of language
- but have suggested that they have 'sign games' in some of my papers. I
consider this to be a system of messages on a lower structural and
generative level. I think we should be careful to coin such new concepts
as we move from human abilities 'down' to lower levels.

Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

Assoc. Prof. Ph. D. S�ren Brier
Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch
Langagervej 4, DK-9220 Aalborg �st
Telephone: +45 98 157922 , Fax: +45 98 151042
Homepage: http://www.db.dk/dbaa/sbr/home_uk.htm
Ed. & Publisher of Cybernetics & Human Knowing