Re: SV: SV: Information and Natural Languages

From: Rafael Capurro, Professor <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 15 Dec 1997 - 20:04:27 CET

Dear Soeren,
your write:
>It is very interesting to consider if there are qualitative basic
different kinds of existing in the world.
Like Aristotle I think that there are levels of subjectivity but cannot
anymore see any reasonability of the mechanistic idea of physical being.
Classical physics misuses the Greek term of physis.
Once - especially the empiricists - thought that you could observe
passively. Nobody can hold that view any more after the quantum physics
observer discussion. So I will hold that an observer is also a doer.<

the problem is, what does "basic" mean! I am sure you can see
differences (or make or find them!) between, say, a house, a cat, the
Pacific ocean, the Danish crown, the Second World War, Shakespeare's
"Much ado about nothing", etc. etc. This is, indeed, an ontological
question. Maybe the misuse of classical physics of the Greek term
_physis_ is similar to the problem of time Koichiro is rising.
Objective time presupposes a kind of objective ontology and of
objective time (linearity, reversibility). If we are 'part' of
reality, 'inside' it, this 'being inside' (and outside) is obviously
different from the way other beings are. Remember for instance the
difference between Greek _chronos_ (time) and _kairos_ (the right
moment).
Kind regards,
Rafael

Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

Assoc. Prof. Ph. D. S�ren Brier
Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch
Langagervej 4, DK-9220 Aalborg �st
Telephone: +45 98 157922 , Fax: +45 98 151042
Homepage: http://www.db.dk/dbaa/sbr/home_uk.htm
Ed. & Publisher of Cybernetics & Human Knowing