Re: SV: SV: Information and Natural Languages

From: Rafael Capurro, Professor <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 15 Dec 1997 - 20:24:07 CET

Dear Soeren,

your write:

> I did not say that the universe was an autopoietic system. The problem
> in evolutionary theory is that if one believes in it

indeed: "if one believes in it"! What kind of belief is this?

you write:
>then life has
> arisen from the universe and some kind of continuation must exist
> between the universe and the living beings according to the present
> theories that find evidence that life was created after the Big Bang.

what is exactly "a continuation"? is there only one? or many? does it
mean: natura non facit saltus, or does it mean: causa non aequat
effectum?

>So
> some parts of the universe is turning into observing systems.>

Some parts! other parts not? what is 'a part'? why only some parts?
are there, indeed, non-observing systems?

> Many of
> our present theories indicate that the universe is a whole and all
> entities are connected by different kinds of fields (much as Aristotle
> saw it). I wonder how Heidegger's theory relates to this.

I wonder it too! Because Heidegger poses constantly the question of
thinking reality as a whole ('Das Seiende im Ganzen'). This kind of
thinking of reality as a whole is what he calls 'metaphysical
thinking', i.e. trying to take reality 'as a whole' as something in
front of my (as an ob-ject). This is what he questions, _physis_ is
the Greek experience that something comes out while at the same time
(!, at the same 'time'! what does 'time' here means?) retreating
itself. Heraclit's _physis krypthesthai phyley_ (natures loves to
retreat itself)

> Now I think the Heidegger discriminates between the universe (the
> attempt on a scientific description) and the world (of meaningful
> relationships we live in), and that is the point you want to make.

yes insofar as our being-in-the-universe is a peculiar way of being.
But Heidegger says also that we are natural beings and other kind of
living beings are open to the world (in a restricted manner). So the
question is not so much man, but world-openness and its being aware
or not aware (and the kind of awareness).

> As a biologist and ethologist I want to claim that living systems also
> live in such a world. I will also like to claim that the theory of
> evolution is in accordance with Heidegger's philosophy as it is an ever
> developing knowledge.

dito

> I do have problems when scientists make evolutionary theory a physical
> materialistic theory and thereby make a reductionist scientific
> knowledge claim of unnecessary strong metaphysical character.

me too

> I do not know why you say that I postulate pseudo-subjectivity? I rather
> claim a hyloistic point of view as Peirce (and as Aristotle did but
> without a material evolutionary theory). What is your ontological point
> of departure that finds this offensive as so many materialistic
> scientists?

well, I have no problem thinking not only in terms of _ causa
efficiens_ but also (as Weizs�cker repeteadly remarks) of _causa
formalis_ which is, I think, the basis for our discussion in
introducing the concept of information (and of information as a
causal concept, see Peter Fleisser/Wolfang Hofk.). But looking for
causal explanations is still looking for explanations. I think the
matter of philosophy as a specific kind of questioning is to go
behind (or beyond) explanations, not into mystic or mysteries, but
into the givenness of the given... (this sounds not very clear! I
apologize!)

> I cannot help noticing from our discussions that the scientific and
> even more the biological knowledge does not seem to play any significant
> role in your thinking. Although I enjoy your classical and humanistic
> knowledge this bothers me. All your views are very human centered. That
> is also OK, but you have somehow to reflect upon our scientific
> knowledge. But may be you think that science should not or cannot say
> anything significant about the human condition and origin? Somewhere we
> do not meet because of some difference in background assumptions. I
> mentioned this because I have had similar experiences with other
> humanist - that we are "worlds" apart.

I am indeed 'humanistic' educated. This does mean I do not appreciate
science etc. But I try to think about science, not to take it for
granted (in a similar way as if I were in the Middle Ages and I would
try to think about Christian faith). This is sometimes a heretical
attitude. We are 'worlds apart' as far as we base are assumptions in
some kind of 'faith'. Of course, I cannot say I have no faith at
all... I remember Ortega y Gasset in this matter when he
distinguishes between ideas and faith (ideas y creencias). Faith is
in this context something like Kuhn's normal science...

> Venlig hilsen/Best wishes

for you too
Rafael