Re: SV: Foundations of Information Science

From: Rafael Capurro, Professor <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 17 Dec 1997 - 17:04:08 CET

Dear Birger,

your point is important. I will have to let it partly unswered now as I am
leaving for vacations. This was exactly what I tried to say when I
rised the question of analogy, equivocity or synonymity concerning
the use of the information concept in different fields. I can
understand the use of a 'general concept of information' in the sense
we have been using the concept of _causa formalis_ and indeed the
concept of _form_ in philosophy (metaphysics). The concept of form
was use for instance to say: the soul is the form of the body, and:
the form of this wood is a chair. The peculiarity of the FIS-approach
is the evolutionary approach. With qualitative different levels of
reality with have also qualitative different information concepts
related to phenomena that could not be forseen from the former level.
In other words, we have to take always the specific parameters of the
phenoma we study whe we talk about information as a domain-related
concept, but we can take this concept in the sense of the _causa
formalis_. Is this a better way of thinking? Maybe.
Concerning LIS (Library and Information Science) we have indeed to
introduce specific differences as we have to do with actors and
observers capable of language. I think Luhmann's difference between
_Mitteilung_ (communication) and _Information_ (and _Verstehen_
understanding) is a useful paradigm. We have being dealing with with
problem of understanding (hermeneutics) of 'Information' but not
being much aware that there must be something like an offert
(_Mitteilung_) out of which the system can create a new
understanding. The concept of _Mitteilung_ was, ironically, a basic
idea of the processes done by _Hermes_ as the god who brought the
messages, announcing them (he was also the god of commerce and thief:
all this is part of our joy, isn't it?!)
With kind regards
Rafael