Re: information, thermod. & phys.

From: Jerry LR Chandler <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 22 Jan 1998 - 04:15:23 CET

Dear Pedro, Koichiro and All:

Pedro's message generated several questions which may be worth
exploring.

Pedro C. Marijuan wrote:

> 1. INFO & THERMOD. ENTROPY
>
> For my taste Werner's points capture very appropiately the subject. The
> congruence between Boltzmann & Shannon's approaches seems very well
> established. In my own language, the former refers to the possible number
> of space-time dislocations and the latter to positional combinations of
> signs. Appropiately chosing their definition spaces (Werner & Jerry) they
> coalesce into a unitary approach.

Should information be limited to operations on space - time objects or
should material objects be admitted into the discussion? Tom S. at NCI
has focused on the materiality of DNA information as manifested in
sequences of material objects - the individual bases.
If physical objects are admitted into the discussion, how are the
material attributes to be enumerated and counted as 'information'?

> However, if we take seriously the possibility of using the distinctional
> signs (remember, those very ones that Tom, Soeren and I agreed last month
> that they might constitute the info "grain") following a "compositional"
> strategy instead of a positional one, then Karl Javorsky (1995) may be
> right and we could arrange for a new counting based on "multidimensional
> partitions" in order to give the real communicational possibilities of this
> alternative compositional info strategy.

I do not understand how the term "compositional" is being used here.
In the sense of matheamtical functions ( f • g • h ) over a sequence of
sets?
What would be the nature of the objects being composed?

> In general, compositional info "entropy" would be different from the
> Shannon's & Boltzmann�s countings. Actually the math. relationship between
> them could be quite curious: depending on the chosen set of distinctional
> signs there might appear max. and min. values-- and relevant biological
> parameters, eg of the genetic code, would seat precisely on such min.max
> values! (again I am following Javorszky)

I do not understand the proposed relations between compositions and the
min / max.
Could you be more explicit in the nature of the counting operations and
the functions?

> Actually, most of what Werner calls "free information", term which itself
> is highly thought-provoking, could have the form of this compositional
> info, far easier to be used in order to connect "compositions of sets" (and
> to count the consequences of their inner productive and degradative
> processes).
>
> 2. INFO AND THE PROBLEM OF "STRANGE EXISTENCES"
>
> In his Volume 6 of "A la Recherche du Temp Perdu", Marcel Proust disagrees
> with the conventional views about nations as entire entities. He insists
> that they have to be contemplated from a perspective of "continuous
> creation" and degradation, far above the level of individuals, generating
> genuine collective organisms involved in cooperative and antagonistic
> behaviors ... Can our present info & physics discussion give any hints
> about this strange "way of existence"?
>
> Also, exchanging views with Vicente Salas (participating in our fis.list
> too) about the way firms and companies have to be understood, he expoused
> me to some economists' discussions about "the nature of the firm"...
> Another strange "way of existence" irreducible to any unidimensional
> analysis, and involved in continuous creation and annihilation processes,
> endowed with quite peculiar counting systems, conservation laws and
> optimization principles, can be contemplated.
>
> The orchestrated cellular dances between protein synthesis/protein
> degradation and the organismic ones betwen cell reproduction and cell death
> appear as the biological counterparts (and the final source) of the above
> "strange" ways of existence.
>
> "Informational existences", one might apply to these entities that exist in
> ways utterly unfamiliar to physics.

How would one distinguish between the term "strange way of existence"
and non-stationary systems which have a "kernel" of stability but
otherwise fluctuate in dimensionality? Other evolutionary examples of
such systems could be given...

> 3. THE INFO AND THE PHYSICS PARADIGMS, AND LIFE
>
> The philosopher Ortega y Gasset wrote a wonderful essay about "Oknos el
> Soguero" (Oknos, the rope maker) where he comes to say just that: that
> Greek, Roman and Western thought left aside the archaic way of thinking
> based on the unceassant weaving and unweaving of Nature's own structures.
> Nilly-willy recent molecular biology has just stumbled upon that very fact.
> And it might be a fundamental constitutive aspect of most of the
> supra-biological existences: neuronal, economic, social, etc.

I believe that our current state of knowledge is sufficient to organize
systems in terms of the "degrees of organization" - which may be related
to Pedro's 'vertical' information.
The problem becomes how to define the interrelationships between
structures of different degrees of organization - such as an atom, a
cell, a human being and a social system. Is the difference between
these objects merely information or is it also scale and materiality and
relationships with external systems?

Jerry LR Chandler
George Mason University