Re: koichiro's posting

From: Prof.Dr. Werner Ebeling <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 22 Jan 1998 - 17:43:07 CET

> From: kmatsuno@vos.nagaokaut.ac.jp
> Subject: Re: no subject (file transmission)
> To: fis@listas.unizar.es

Reply to the reply:

> Werner's points (14 Jan 98)

> >4. Information is a non-physical quantity. Information transfer is always
> >connected with energy and entropy flows, the opposite is not true
> >Wiener is right: information cannot be reduced to
> >energy or entropy.
>
> Information must be due to the lack of a bird's eye perspective
> on the part of any of material bodies, like we are. The absence of
> the global perspective on the spot cannot physically be referred to.
> What can be physical instead could be a material means that may
> mitigate the extent of the absence of the global perspecitve.
I repeat, my idea is, that entropy is a relation. So it is more like a force
between two planets than like a planet. I planet can be the source of a force,
but it is not like a force. Information is anyhow something which can flow,
which can be transferred.

> >1. Information can have two basic forms:
> >- free information, is what is transferred betweem sender and receiver,
> >- bound information, is a structure which is an actual or potential
> > information carrier.
>
> If we try to understand this in a bit old-fashioned manner,
> the making of bound information could be equated to preparing
> boundary conditions and the process of free information to the
> dynamics under given boundary conditions. What is quite new to
> the issue of information is that it squarely faces the issue of
> how to prepare boundary conditions on the part of material bodies.
> In the usual practice of experimental sicences, the job of
> preparing boundary conditions has been allotted exclusively to
> experimenters and no one else. Information as an empirical
> science can marginalize the role of experimenters insisting
> their monopoly of controlling boundary conditions. Of course,
> philosophers in general and semioticians in particular may
> say the same thing in a more colorful language.
I would agree in most points. An enlightening example might be
a record which is lost by a space shuttle. Is is infromation or not.
I think its not proper information but only "bound information".
I can be a proper information i.e. free information if somebody
with a recorder will find it.

> Regards,
> Koichiro
Regards Werner
Prof. W. Ebeling ebeling@physik.hu-berlin.de
Humboldt-Universitaet Berlin phone: +49/(0)30-2093 7636
Institut fuer Physik fax: +49/(0)30-2093 7638
Invalidenstrasse 110
D-10115 Berlin