SV: Biological Information

From: Hj�rland Birger <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 16 Feb 1998 - 11:46:23 CET

> Prof.Dr. Werner Ebeling just wrote:
> > * What is information ?
> All things around us are informations.
> This makes no sense to me. If everything is information why we try to
> define it ???? Then its no need in any definition.

Answer: Professor Michael Buckland has written: Just like everything
might be symbolic, everything might be informative (information). It
depends on the potential questions, that can be answered. Then Bucklands
argue, that the quality of being informative is always situational. In
my book "information seeking and subject representation" from 1997 I
develop this a step further and argues that information systems
represent information according to their specific goals or target
groups. A stone in the field can represent different information for the
geologist and the archeologist, and information systems are not
"universalistic", but integretes the information from the stone in the
field into the collective knowledge in, e.g., geology and archeology.
Kind regards,

Birger Hjxrland

Head of Department, Ph.d.
Royal School of Library and Information Science
6 Birketinget
DK-2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark

Phone: +45 32 58 60 66
Fax: +45 32 84 02 01