Re: Biological Information

From: Prof.Dr. Werner Ebeling <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 20 Feb 1998 - 11:01:19 CET

> Dear FIS Colleagues
SHORT COMMENTS FROM WEB

> The Kindergarden Questions
> --------------------------
> [these are the questions we ask when young, no-one can answer
> us at that stage and then when we grow up we find that still,
> no-one can answer us !!!]
>
> * What is information ?
see Wiener INFORMATION IS INFORMATION
> * Is information no less than an artefact of observation ?
CERTAINLY NOT
> * What is biological information ?
THIS IS THE TRUE INFORMATION, NO INFORMATION COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT FROM
LIFE IS KNOWN, OR IS THERE ANYBODY AMONG THE FIS-PEOPLE WHO KNOWS IT BETTER??
> * Is it different to information physicists discuss ?
NO ITS JUST ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

WERNER EBELING

> BioInformation - an Historical Anachronism ?
> The rise in the notion of information in biological
> systems could be related to the contemporary scientific
> culture of mid 40s - mid 50s - - information theory,
> formal languages, computational science etc. Maybe the
> metaphorc notion of text and language, which gave rise
> to notions of codes, messages, transcription and translation
> is due for replacement. The notions associated with
> genome as program are far too simplistic. At the end of the day,
> will this approach simply facilitate syntax and no semantics ?
> Is gaining semantic understand nothing but a philosophical
> dream?
TO ME THIS IS THE ESSENCE NOT JUST A DREAM !!!
I LIKE THE VIEWS OF MICHAEL CONRADS ON MATTERS OF
BIOLOGICAL INFORMATION

> Information - - Matter, Energy and Measurement
> The Internalist stance. How can we develop the intellectual tools
> needed to reason from this point of view ?

I DO NOT SEE HERE THE REAL SCIENTIFIC PROBLEM

REGARDS FROM MADRID, WHERE I STAY AT THE MOMENT
ITS SPRING TIME HERE

Werner Ebeling