Re: The Language of Cells

From: Jerry LR Chandler <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 11 Mar 1998 - 05:47:36 CET

Dear Pedro and Jose:
Dear Everyone:

Pedro and Jose have put forward an interesting hypothesis. In
responding to it, I am reminded of Arturo Rosenbluth and Norbert
Weiner's comments in "The Role of Models in Science". They classified
two types of models: material models and formal (or symbolic) models.
While these ideas are slightly obsolete, they are worth quoting:

They defines these as:

"A material model is the represntation of a complex system which is
assumed simpler and which is also assumed to have some properties
similar to those selected for study in the original complex system.
"A formal model is a symbolic assertion in logical terms of an idealized
relatively simple situation sharing the structural properties of the
original factual models."

They then puts the limitations of scientific models in perspective:

"Consider first material models. They start by being rough
approximations, surrogates for the real facts studied. Let the model
appraoch asymptocically the complexity of the real situation. As a
limit, it will become identical to the real system."

They continues by generating a Platonic ideal:
" The ideal formal model would be one which would cover the entire
universe, which would agree with its complexity and which would have a
one to one correspondence with it. Anyone capable of elaborating and
comprehending such a model in its entiriety would find the model
unnecessary because he could grasp the universe as a whole. He would
possess the third category of knowledge described by Spinoza."

When I read your "Language of the Cell", I conjecture that it fits
between the simpler model of information theory and the relative
ordering relationships and chemical structural graphs. The language
appears to me as more complex than information theory but less complex
than chemistry.

Thus, I would next ask, what advantages does it offer the practioner?
Can you give examples which compare this cellular language to the
information variety - for example, T. Schneider's 'molecular machine
theory' which is developed from information theory?

The second issure is the question of the role of composition. Have you
considered the role of potential commutative relations in sequential
compositions? Would this give your partitioning relations deeper
meaning in terms of creating categorical algebras?

Why reject chemical structures as a language for cells?
One reason is that no one knows how to calculate the information content
of chemical structures! Nor, do we know how to calculate the total
number of possible isomers for nearly all molecules with more than a few
atoms. Thus, we do not have a method to calculate the distributions
required for Shannon's formula! The fact that experiments are conducted
in the material context of chemical structures certainly does not imply
that the symbolic analysis can be done only in terms of classical
physical-chemical variables!

Would you see your compostional partitions as a way to leap over these
intractable chemical problems?

I agree that this approach has some conceptual advantages - can these
conceptual advantages be clearly demonstrated with analysis of
biological observations?

Cheers to all.
Jerry