Re: CONSCIOUSNESS

From: Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 25 May 1998 - 14:42:19 CEST

Dear Otto,

you see seem to identify consciousness with the world openness and to think
this somehow in _theological_ terms.
The problem with consciousness is, that it was conceived (probably not by
Descartes, who, according to some philosophers like A. Kemmerling from
Munich, was not concerned with consciousness) as something inside the brain,
where representations of the so called outside world were stored etc. This
metaphoric was questioned by philosophers like Heidegger and (more recently)
R. Rorty (following some lines from American Pragmatism). To-be-in-the-world
in the sense of being open to possibities and to _construct_ the _world_ in
the sense of such possibilities is not identical with to-be-conscious in the
sense of a state of mind. In some sense conciousness is based (in our case)
on our bein-in-the-world and not the other way around. This presupposes also
not only that we are conscious about some possibilities and not of others,
but that the world-openness itself is for us a _relative_ one (as past and
future, in their own (!) way of being-present (and absent) to us, are
foreclosed, at least partly: we can foresee somethings, and bring them into
(well: not consciousness, really, or not only) the openness in which we live
(either in an explicit or implicit or tacit way). Tacit knowledge is, as
Polayi remark, not the same as unconscious. Well excuse me for all this,
most of what I wanted to say remains... tacit!
kind regards
rafael

-----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----