Re: Conscious Layer Speculations

From: William S. Dockens III <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 15 Oct 1998 - 08:06:49 CEST

Fisers

As a behavioral ecologist with a general systems approach, I have been
watching this conference with increasing interest. I enter here in response
to Ted Goranson's move to "jump-start" the conference. Focus is on the
perspectives from which we view the problem of consciousness, and the
interdisciplinary interfaces where we formulate both the problems and the
approaches to their solutions.
The interfaces between psychology, anthropology, endocrinology, and
pharmacology are crucial to a behavioral science approach to the problem of
consiousness. Here, consciousness manifests itself from three perspectives:

1) Inside, looking out,
2) Outside, looking in and
3) Inside, looking in.

Inside looking out is basic because this is the first, and most immediate,
way that individuals view the world. Effects of hormones and the inadequacy
of language to describe these effects are two exceedingly difficult
problems from the "inside, looking out perspective".

Outside, looking in, is the dominant approach of science and technology.
Mathematics and game theory, add power tools to scientific language.
Nevertheless, consciousness has characteristics that frustrate most
conventional mechanistic approaches. Mutual causality, non hierarchical
levels, opponent processes organization and extremely complex positive and
negative feedback systems, all combine to produce a labyrinth of obstacles
to a universally acceptable definition of "information". Add to this the
territorial imperatives that are the excess baggage of specialties, and the
sociology of science emerges as a significant factor.

Inside, looking in is by far the most difficult perspective of the three.
Self-reference plays havoc with conventional logical analysis. Identity and
identity functions lead to fuzzy boundaries that create nightmares for
classification systems.

Despite the obvious complexity that arises as a consequence of viewing the
problem from all three perspectives simultaneously, we can make progress.
First, a division of labor, similar to the gnome project is necessary. We
should be careful not to confuse divisions of labor with divisions of
nature. I suggest we formulate our approaches in terms of functional units.
So that we can meet at the interfaces between disciplines and discuss the
variables that describe, predict and control information.

William S. Dockens III
Department of Psychology
Uppsala University