Re: Social Fitness and Information (2)

From: Werner Ebeling <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 26 Oct 1998 - 14:19:08 CET

To : Gottfried Stockinger
Sorry, the previous messsae was an error !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My answer is below.

> Werner Ebeling wrote:
>
> >Just a little remark from the side of a physicist:
> I cannot see that the concept of fitness is now "obsolete".
> In the opposite, I believe it is still of great actuality
> in spite of the fact that so far nobody is able to quantify it
> in a way we know from theoretical physics i.e. as Hamilton-principle.<
>
> [Stockinger]
>
> Do Hamilton functions (sorry I�m not very familiar with them) supply
> fitness quantification formulas? Maybe in the way we could use them or
> adapt them at a sociological level, in combination with info-theoretical
> aspects (?). Please, if possible, may you give a short explanation?

WEB: Hamilton function are definitely not an appropriate tool since
Hamiltonian systems are reversible. Evolution is always an irreversible
process, i.e. it cannot have an Hamiltonian. One has to look for
optimization principles with irreversible character.
These matters are discussed in our books
Ebeling/Engel/Feistel: Physik der Evolutionsprozesse, Berlin 1990
Feistel/Ebeling: Evolution of Complex systems, Dordrecht 1989
I still have a few exemplars which I could send to interested people
in exchange to any other interesting book.
Regards
W. Ebeling