Re: Lamarck

From: Gottfried Stockinger <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 28 Oct 1998 - 14:48:10 CET

You wrote:
>An important difference is that gene type fitness is correlated with
Darwinian natural selection pressures. But social fitness is not Darwinian,
instead it seems Lamarkian! One thing is slow, long term, a priori
evolution
and
another is immediate, fast changing, experiential dynamics which are shared
above and beyond genetic information. Importantly, Lamarkian dynamics also
leaves room for reversibility (which I think is an important element in
VEMS and has been mentioned by Stockinger and Ebeling).<
I think the discussion on fitness up to now has dealt only with individual
fitness in a Darwinian sense, but social systems move in a Lamarkian
dynamic<

[Stockinger]
It is Lamarkian-like, yes, I agree. Because socio-genes change while one is
still living. They do not need a lot of generations to do so. They are part
of information-processing.

Gottfried