RE: social complexity

From: kmatsuno <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 25 Nov 1998 - 02:52:53 CET

Dear Rafael, Jerry and All:

   Rafael's point

>Kant distinguishes (in the introduction to his lectures on An
>Anthropology under a pragmatical point of view) between what
>nature has made of us (and still is making) and what we do
>ourselves of us. The last he calls an anthropology under a
>pragmatical point of view (the first kind is called: under a
>_physiololgical_ point of view).

should be well attended. I learned this for the first time. Kantian
objective "anthropological" viewpoint precipitates the Transcendental Ego or
the speaking subject in the present tense and dynamics in time to the
latter. Time relative to the speaking subject is seen in the tense the
subject employs, while time intrinsic to the subject as a guarantee of
Kantian objectivity remains absolute. On the other hand, Kantian
"physiological" viewpoint seems to imply intersubjectivity and dynamics of
time in time in the latter. Time unique to one speaking subject becomes
relative to another one unique to another subject as demonstrated in the
aspect of a verb as in the progressive mode.

   At this point enters Jerry's concern

>The historical record laid down in the past (the present
>perfect) is open and readable to all who attempt to repeat the
> experiments - . . . , it is "objective".

If some or any part of the present progressive mode is frozen in the record,
empirical scientists could find in it a form of objectivity. This
resurrection of objectivity is from dynamics of time in time, instead of
dynamics in time in the latter of which Kantian objectivity seems
invincible. How about that?

   Of course, there is a legitimate attempt for approaching the present
progressive or action on the spot via statements made in the present tense.
Bob Artigiani's Value, Ethics and Moral is certainly one. What concerns me
is how to make a Kantian physiology or an objectification via
intersubjectivity out of this. (I am not thinking of "selfish" genes that
could remain legitimate exclusively in the perfect mode).

   Cheers,
   Koichiro

     Koichiro Matsuno
     Department of BioEngineering