Re: Conscious Layer Speculations

From: Prof. Dr. Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 02 Jan 1999 - 11:49:54 CET

Ted,

Reading your answer to Jerry I was wandering (as philosophers sometimes
do...) about your difference between two kinds of information. My question
is whether it would be useful to to distinguish between _acting through
forms_ (or _trans-formation_) at the non-human level, and _acting through
information_ at the conscious (what about the _unconscious_?) level.
Although the word _information_ as you know was originally also used to mean
the former it is probably less misleading to say that what living beings do
is to cope with forms in a _meta-phorical_ way (this is a conjecture: in
which ways? how do they _recognize_ forms etc.). There is the old sentence
that knowledge is the effect of the equal recognizing the equal (or the
similar). Human information would be, of course, a second level form
recognition in which the relations (!) between the forms (of things) are
considered. This would match with Koichiro's difference between the present
tense and the present progressive tense (as well as other tenses related to
our perception of reality and the way we relate to theses tenses...) This
would _explain_ also the differences between the perception of time and
space in human and non-human life. These are similar ideas to the ones
developped by Weizsaecker, I think.
kind regards
rafael