Re: neuro: and what else

From: Pedro C. Marijuan <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 13 Apr 2000 - 14:18:06 CEST

>In 1988 I did a search on Biological Abstracts for information, entropy,
>and information and entropy. I got several hundred for the first, about 70
>for the second, and 40 or so for the combination. I looked at the abstracts,
>and in all but two cases the use of "information" or "entropy" was gratuitous,
>i.e., the abstract would not have lost any content had they been deleted.

I find your search quite an interesting practical case. Did you prepare any
type of publication about this?

>Things may have changed in more than 10 years, but I somehow doubt
>it. The restriction of information to information processing, especially
>by machines suggest use of the machines, but not in the theory. If it
>is theoretical, I agree the tendency is disturbing. It tends towards mechanical
>models.

Maybe this is the inevitable unidimensional thought that accompanies most
of specialized research (decades ago, the philosopher Ortega y Gasset wrote
a pretty nice essay about "the barbarism of specialization"). However,
reminding the discussion on INFO PHYLA, in the past June (it is in the fis
web pages), I venture the following coment:

The "mechanical" point of view may be partially correct, at least for
capturing the CONSTITUTIVE aspects of info phenomena (say, the abstract
"pattern"); but it completely disregards the GENERATIVE aspects (how that
pattern is intertwined into a vast net of other interacting bodily
processes, including hormones, peptides, emotions, time-rythms, etc.), and
also it completely disregards the COMMUNICATIONAL aspects (that, for
instance, Peter has cogently discussed in his "hermeneutical brain")...

best

Pedro C. Marijuan. TEL 34 976 761 927, FAX 34 976 762 111
BIOINFORMATION GROUP. Dept. Ingen. Electronica y Comunicaciones,
CPS Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza 50015, SPAIN
email: marijuan@posta.unizar.es