E-conf. preparations

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 05 Dec 2001 - 14:49:22 CET

Dear FISers,

The preparations for the fis elect. conf. are advancing. It will take place
around 2nd May 2002. A scientific advisory board including a balanced
representation of disciplines, countries, and trends within the fis
initiative is almost formed. We are also closer to having a final title.
The proposed initial one was ON INFORMATION: ITS NATURE, ITS
MISCONCEPTIONS. But there is some more preferences for the following: THE
NATURE OF INFORMATION: CONCEPTIONS, MISCONCEPTIONS, AND PARADOXES (there
have been a few extra suggestions, but these two are clearly leading the
pack).

The technical organizer is a Swiss infotech company (as a reference of
similar works, see http://www.mdpi.net/ec-list.htm ) with scientific
interests pretty close to our own orientations. The contributors to the
conference (in principle, it is open to all fis members--with a minimum
review for outsiders) will be granted a web and CD publication of their
contribution, plus a special issue in the elect. journal Entropy (maybe
selected papers, depending on the total number of contributions). It will
imply no cost for us. After the "vernissage day" (2nd may) hanging all the
papers simultaneously, there will be a round of comments and discussions
(perhaps a first, brief phase with just overall comments, and a second
phase closer to our long discussions of the past, moderated by section
chairs).

Please, in order to produce a short presentation text and a "catholic" list
of suggested conf. topics, I will much appreciate receiving inputs from all
interested parties, either privately to my individual address or to this
collective fis address. We are planning to make the official
web-announcement in around one or two weeks. The technical organizers will
also appreciate receiving suggestions on possible companies helping to
support the costs of the event (it could also help us to finance a future
fis "real" venue)... Their addresses are: lin@mdpi.org, barry.hardy@mdpi.org

Some of the above details may still change, but at the time being the whole
project looks pretty robust.

Best wishes

Pedro C. Mariju�n
Fundaci�n CIRCE
CPS Univ. Zaragoza, 50015 Zaragoza, Spain
TEL. (34) 976 762036-761863, FAX (34) 976 732078
email: marijuan@posta.unizar.es