disconnected points

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 17 Dec 2001 - 13:57:47 CET

Dear colleagues:

Just a few disconnected points motivated by the theor. postings these days (thanks for the exciting messages!):

-- Although quite many novelties in bio & neuro & computer sciences (and social and techno changes too) induce to a new conceptualization of information phenomena, maybe we should wisely consider the living cell as the "zero" system to start out the analysis (and later on the synthesis).

-- The new info conceptualization most probably has to revise central tenets of physics (the "four mechanics core": classic, stastistic,fluid, quantum). And rediscuss, also, an array of philo & multidisciplinary notions on causality, matter-mind, knowledge, identity, fitness, utility, rationality, value, etc. Such "mechanically abstruse" notions might get a fair revision and a clearer footing at the info field.

-- So to speak, after two centuries of "imperialism of physics", an entanglement of mechanistic non-informational ideas has pervasively colonized the system of the sciences and persisted in quite many wrong places, appearing in the form of insidious surrogates. Weeding them out is really difficult and a long term enterprise (not to mention the infamous breach between natural sci.and the humanities).

-- It may well be that, individually, we feel having already made substantial advancements in these and related themes. But at the time being perhaps we should collectively insist on exposing the conceptual gaps and leaving them open as much as possible. Nothing attracts more in science than "a void to fill in".

best wishes

Pedro C. Mariju�n
Fundaci�n CIRCE
CPS Univ. Zaragoza, 50015 Zaragoza, Spain
TEL. (34) 976 762036-761863, FAX (34) 976 732078
email: marijuan@posta.unizar.es