Re: Vedr.: realism and information

From: Fenzl <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 19 Dec 2001 - 20:38:07 CET

Dear all,
the discussion starts to be really very interesting. this is a good signal for the conference and i'm happy that pedro was persistant enough to maintain FIS alive!
today i will make some general comments about the different mails i got in my box:
it's now about ten years that our vienna group is dealing with the information concept and since the beginnig of our discussion we always came back to the fascinating point which separates the spirits in at least two basic questions:
a) is information intrinsically related to life processes?
b) or is information a much more universal concept related to the evolution of the whole universe?
Personally when I started to deal with this subject I was "nearly sure" that information must be related to biological evolution. However during the last years, going deeper in the concept, personnally i got really convinced that information is basically the relation between the irreversible steps of matter/energy changes of universal evolution which is based on irreversible transformation of matter/energy systems.
Now, if we limit our conference only to "living matter" i think we strangle a very interesting philosophical aspect of the whole discussion.
on the other hand i also agree that we need a focus, which i think is already more or less scoped by pedro�s and if i understood correctly by b.hardys proposals
so why dont we focus on the relation between the different concepts (paradoxes) and approaches to information? this will lead us to a better mapping and understanding whats behind the different concepts and enhance also the important discussion about the relation between information, meaning and signification... which seems to be necessary.
best wishes
norbert
Norbert Fenzl
UFPA-NUMA