Re: VACATION STORY

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 15 Jan 2002 - 20:16:19 CET

I have passed along this story to a colleague here who studies Sephardic culture, hoping that it might spark some interest.

Many thanks.

Jim

--On Saturday, December 22, 2001 12:11 AM +0100 "\"Pedro C. Mariju�n\"" <marijuan@posta.unizar.es> wrote:

> DEAR COLLEAGUES, AS A XMAS PRESENT HERE IS THE STORY HAPPENED IN
> TARAZONA...
>
> (Tarazona is an elegant medieval city, one hour drive from Zaragoza. One
> of the characters of this story, archeologist & historian Javier Bona to
> whom I could talk about the FIS project, offers local help and some modest
> financing for a "real" FIS venue in beautiful Tarazona, whenever we wish:
> 2003, 2004...)
>
> Merry Christmas to all. ---Pedro

> ------- more info about this Tarazona story in:
> http://www.lanzadera.com/moshedeportella
> http://idd00bmy.eresmas.net/iindex2.html
>
> Rescuing A Corner Of The Past
> Walter Ruby - Special To The Jewish Week (March 16, 2001)
>
> One day in the summer of 2000, an archivist in the magnificent medieval
> cathedral of the northern Spanish town of Tarazona found that the cover
> of a 14th-century book in the church's collection of manuscripts had been
> ripped. Examining the book closely, he discovered that inside the cover
> was an until-then undetected document written in Hebrew that had
> apparently been inserted into the cover hundreds of years ago to help
> hold the book together. The Hebrew text was a synagogue document from
> Tarazona's long-lost Jewish community, which like the rest of Spanish
> Jewry, was expelled from the country in 1492. Excited by the discovery,
> the archivist informed Javier Bona, a local archaeologist who only months
> earlier had created an organization known as The Association of the
> Friends of Jewish Culture-Moshe De Portella, named for a Jew from
> Tarazona who was a legendary financier for the King of Aragon during the
> 13th century. Spurred on by Bona, a team of archivists peeled back the
> covers of a number of other venerable volumes preserved in the cathedral,
> and found to their great excitement that these books too had been held
> together by inserting inside their covers Jewish documents which
> obviously had been confiscated by the local Catholic Church. In the
> months since, the archivists have discovered some 60 of these medieval
> Hebrew documents; an assortment of legal deeds and religious writings,
> including one that is written in Arabic with Hebrew lettering. These
> unique documents are proving invaluable to Bona and other members of his
> association in fleshing out the life of the long-disappeared Jewish
> community of the town. Mention the glory of Spanish Jewry in the days
> before the Inquisition and what comes immediately to mind are the southern
> cities of Cordoba and Granada, where giants of Jewish history like Moses
> Maimonides and Yehuda Halevi lived and wrote, and where highly literate
> Jewish communities helped the Muslim leaders of Spain create a glorious
> civilization at a time when Christian Europe was slumbering in the Dark
> Ages. Another city where Jewish life flourished before the Inquisition is
> Toledo, the beautiful former capital of Castille, located near Madrid in
> [...]

Jim Cogswell
Associate Professor and Director of the Visitors Program
The University of Michigan School of Art & Design
2000 Bonisteel Boulevard, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2069
telephone (734) 764-6460
fax (734) 936-0469
jcogs@umich.edu