Re: time and three infos

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 15 Feb 2002 - 15:08:57 CET

Dear Morris,

Thanks for your great posting! A question well posed is value one thousand
arguments...
I join the emphasis on mechanisms, my only addition to your suggestion
being that we might think on possible minimalist model systems where those
vast info categories can be meaningfully dissected in ther intrincate
interrelationship. Besides, you are absolutely right (in my view) about the
centrality of time --the multiplicity of rythms in every physiological,
genomic, communicational, behavioral aspect... as the adaptation to the
ecological settings strictly demands too.
About symmetry (Gyuri's elegant posting), may I suggest that it could be
understood as an overall guiding principle for the organization of enzyme
networks instantiated through the law of mass action?

best

Pedro

>(message from robinsontc@terra.es)
>
>FISers-
>I'm very optimistic about the upcoming econference and have enjoyed the
>December thread.
>
>Possibly most participants would agree with Pedro's call for a generalised
>scheme of constitutive, generative and communicational info. But, since Ted
>(Goranson) suggested (rightly) that we emphasise mechanisms, avoid excessive
>terminology or domain examples, it's hard to know where to begin.
>Others may be having a similar problem...
>
>In ethology there is a wide gap between the communicational (behavioural),
>generatve (DNA or even physiology) and constitutive (in this sense be
>anatomy?). Along these lines one thing that helps fill the gaps in our
>studies is time, which is quite implicit in behaviour but less so in
>constitutive and generative. Possibly the latter two are less "time
>dependent" but, at least in my field the communicational is more closely
>linked to the entropy aspect than to the organization-symmetry. Could this
>"time dependency" with respect to the three info genera be one way to
>compare our different "domains" or approaches and help fill the gaps.
>

>Morris Villarroel
>PhD

Pedro C. Mariju�n
Fundaci�n CIRCE
CPS Univ. Zaragoza, 50015 Zaragoza, Spain
TEL. (34) 976 762036-761863, FAX (34) 976 732078
email: marijuan@posta.unizar.es