Deixis and Information Theory

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 01 Mar 2002 - 08:25:15 CET

Dear Colleagues,

The concept of deixis (and deictic shift) has a strong history in
linguistics and
philosophy (e.g. Frege). I would be interested to hear of any work being
done in information
theory which parallels those developments - particulary the notion of
'referral' and
how the 'Here Now and I' experience in natural language translates into
informational situations (like the policeman on point duty...)

Deictically -

My name is John Holgate and I am an information scientist/
practitioner with a background in linguistics, philosophy and philology.

I have just completed a Masters degree in Information at the
University of Technology Sydney and hold degrees in French
and German literature and library/information science.

My specialty was knowledge management and I'm particularly
interested in 'umbrella' theories of information which could
place KM and the information professions on a scientific footing
(which IMO they sadly lack).

I am preparing a doctoral thesis on Information Language and Knowing
which explores the multifarious conceptual interactions
between the three phenomena.

I am currently Director of Library Services at
a teaching hospital in Sydney, Australia (St. George's Hospital).
I have also been a consultant on knowledge management,
portals and electronic publishing in the health industry and
have presented at various health informatics conferences.

I was delighted to discover the FIS list recently and have
been an admiring kibitzer - I look forward to all the
exciting action of the May conference.

Venceremos

John Holgate
Director of Library Services
St. George Hospital

Tel: 0293502042
email: holgatej@sesahs.nsw.gov.au

This email and the files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or use this message or any of its attachments in any way. We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, South East Health accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.