RE: passing the moderation - obstacles

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 25 Mar 2002 - 00:39:13 CET

Pedro and Colleagues,

I would like to add a coda to Pedro's theme of 'Particulate Complex'.

Reflecting this on the sociolinguistic level is the
'portmanteau syndrome' - the tendency to use words like information
as an impressive 'blender' - information society, information
superhighway etc - which reflects a general trend in professional
terminology towards the amalgam, the fused concept, the acronym -
IT and 'Knowledge Management'(KM) being the most pernicious examples.

As an antidote perhaps we can 1. resist the tendency to use or
create specious amalgams and acronyms with the 'I-word';

2. try substituting 'informational' for 'information',
where appropriate(e.g 'Informational Management'
emphasises management style rather than just handling
of documents and data);

3. use the more specific term if possible('Document Retrieval'
or 'Text Retrieval' instead of 'Information Retrieval etc).

This way when we discuss the 'I-word' we can at least
pacify Wittgenstein's ghost <:

Cheers

John

John Holgate M.A. (lit), M.A (information science)
Director of Library Services
St. George Hospital, Sydney Australia

Tel: 0293502042
email: holgatej@sesahs.nsw.gov.au