Re: art, shape, and symmetry

From: Ted Goranson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 15 Apr 2002 - 17:16:30 CEST

Pedro--

Our convergence may be even closer than you indicate below. As my FIS
paper probably won't make the deadline, let me briefly comment here.

My remark on the focus of receiver verses message: Leyton allows the
receiver to host the "situating" mechanism. In contrast, I presume
that the impetus for situating needs to be in the information itself,
using a modified thermodynamics. In other words, though we all focus
on the actions of the receiver, we have to impute the primary agency
to information. You and I are in agreement on this point I think.
Moreover, the vast majority of FISers seem attracted to the larger
notion of functional agency in the information.

Back to Leyton. He uses a group theoretic "wreath product" to relate
control (including the organizational/constitutive impetus) to
content. For FIS to adopt Leyton's elegant group operators, we'd need
to add self-referential control groups WITHIN the content. That was
my point. I think this is a non-trivial problem. We could adopt
Michael's general approach but not his specific mechanism without
some bother.

In our work here, we accommodate this problem of
control-in-the-message by using speech act theory, a widely employed
technique. It presumes the agency to "do work" is in the information
itself and has many mature and useful computational tools. But it is
a mere trick, devoid of the type of theory FIS attempts.

Your language of cells work, Matsuno's examination of the grammar of
action, John C's implicit perspectives on intrinsic clustering
concepts all seem promising to me to fill this need for formal
principles. In this, I am acting as a consumer of ideas toward a
theory for my synthetic environments not a generator of those ideas.
But my perspective is one which has tried (often inexpertly) to dive
below the general ideas in search of formal mechanisms that work.

Leyton actually has a mechanism on which to comment, prompting the
type of discussion around which real progress can be made. Rosen, so
far as I can see does not, though his ordering of concepts is thought
provoking.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson