RE: art, shape, and symmetry

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 16 Apr 2002 - 06:44:18 CEST

Ted, Pedro

Yes, Leyton's work is thought-provoking.

I'd just like to make a comment from an IS perspective.

To the extent that information is itself the constituting
mechanism/experience exploring the symmetry/asymmetry paradigm
creates an interesting vista which may account for a wide range of
relevant phenomena - from aesthetic necessity to 'asymmetric information'
in market economies
(http://www.nobel.se/economics/laureates/2001/public.html)
to ligand/substrate binding and Gestalt theory.

Bateson's 'difference that makes/finds a difference' becomes 'a shape that
makes/finds
its shape' as the quest for a theory of information moves into a classical
phase.

But doesn't the informational experience or situation always constitute the
relationship between the participants as asymmetric?

For example, I lend Pedro a book which contains some good information
(content)
on the language of cells. He returns the book but that exchange does not
satisfy my
particular informational need. The specific content is contingent.
The informational relationship is not symmetrical - it involves
a unidirectional movement between participants without reciprocity.

In the same way the enzymatic modification of the substrate by its ligand,
my genealogic connection to my grandfather or a copy's relationship to an
original are intrinsically asymmetric.

I can return my grandfather's love, his book and possibly his words but not
'his'
information. This is reflected in English usage - we never talk about
'giving back' or 'returning' information only 'receiving it' or 'passing it
on'.

By comparison interactive speech acts are symmetric in the sense of "Do you
want to
borrow my book, Pedro?" The artefact of knowing (the physical book) and the
word 'book'
can constitute a symmetric relationship between the participants. The
informational content cannot.

If Leyton's ideas are to move out of the world of CAD and into the
conceptual substrata of other domains (as you hope, Ted) the
symmetry/asymmetry paradigm needs to 'find a shape' which resonates
across the board.

For example, the attempt to impose lingusitic symmetry (say Boolean) on
asymmetric informational experiences/behaviours is a critical issue within
contemporary IS.

And it would be nice to discover one day that the folding pattern of RNA
and the holding shape of the humble paper clip reflected a similar principle
of functional symmetry...

John

John Holgate
Director of Library Services