RE: the dynamism of numbers

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 09 May 2002 - 13:46:12 CEST

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to add some words to this discussion track. The approach of
Karl Javorszki seems very promising in understanding what is information.
"One specific arrangement of relations among numbers among many possible
arrangements of relations among numbers" - this is really an important
point. In this context we can consider a description of the potential field
(let say it can be realized as a set of complex/ imaginary numbers as in the
Schroedinger equation) that is reduced (in the latter example - squared)
during actualization. The reduction is implied by the measuring device and
it cannot be predicted from the potential state, but it is implied as some
interaction between the device and the potential field. The concrete
structure of the device determines the extraction of a way for certain
reduction of the potential field, thus we can say it has some information
content. To what point this way leads? - that is the question. It leads to
some final state which perfection depends on the dynamic context.
Information is a message determining a way of realization of certain final
state.

Another point - the final state relates to the context but it may have some
objective properties. These properties are canons of perfection, limits of
realization of the measurement process. The simplest case - generation of
the golden section value via memorization of states in reflection loop
(described in my paper). It may need more thorough mathematical description
and analysis, and then it could be possible to construct a link between the
dynamics and morphology. Morphology is described by numbers, but it is not
static - it is a limit of recursion during actualization from the potential
field.

Information implies that final cause exists and it gives a way for reaching
it. It may be correct or wrong, but this is estimated from the point of view
of the final result. Fitness (in Darwinian sense) is not an absolute
paradigm for this, canons of perfection will include fitness as a case. So
we need incorporate the final cause to understand what is information.
D.M.Dubois in BioSystems 43 (1997) 97-114 suggested that it is possible to
compute not only from the time past and present but also from the time
future. This will not be a classical determinism, it will be really a
generation of messages about ways to perfect final states and they will
really possess information. Determinism from the past really bears no
information at all: information appears when the past/present state is
included with possible future state in a whole picture which validity is
established during the way (and finally after the way is completed). The
previous state includes some "hidden harmony" (in Heraclitean words), which
becomes actualized, but this hidden harmony "is better", it includes
different potential realizations, some of them could be better than what is
potentially actualized. The "hidden harmony" is that I call the "internal
quantum state" - it is coherently maintained via error-correction, and the
living system exists until it is maintained.

I agree with Koichiro, there should be an interpretation of quantum
mechanics that susbstantiates these long-living states and turns from
uncertainties to consistent paths, and actually the apparatus of quantum
mechanics allows developing this approach. The point is: information has no
validity in classical deterministic picture, it has validity within the
freedom of choice, but the value of choice is determined by its estimation
from the (future) state which will be reached (as it was predicted, or with
some modifications, or will not be reached at all).

Returning to the initial point, indeed the numbers are dynamic if they have
sense, i.e. information.

Best regards,

Andrei Igamberdiev