Re: kickoff --the dynamism of numbers

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 09 May 2002 - 19:40:42 CEST

At 10:17 AM 09/05/02, you wrote:

>Dear John and Gyuri,
>
>Thanks for the comments. I agree that this is not the main discussion
>track now; however let me produce a brief response (I will elaborate
>further during the discussions of my own contribution).
>
>Indeed numbers are dynamic and can simulate dynamism. In fact, my approach
>makes use of defined (public) instances of "<such> is next to <such>" as
>the basic unit of information. The <such> can have several contents and it
>can have several places.
>
>The systematic or random stepping thru of <such> among all its possible
>places is one source of dynamism, the changes in the makeup of <such> so
>that it becomes a different <such> is a second source of dynamism, and
>then the places that are available for a "changed" <such> are of course
>different to the places that were available before.
>
>This may look sloppy talk, but (thanks to numbers) we can arrive at
>talking about <what> is <where> in a very great exactitude. There is a
>silver lining on the horizon that we can arrive at finding out what can be
>'news'. The news value (information content) lies in finding out something
>that could be (have been) otherwise...
>
>Karl

I would require that the stepping be causal (support counterfactuals, and
the usual correlates of this) to be dynamical. So my discussion of
expression does not apply to this sort of case in itself. The supporting of
counterfactuals is essential to what I was taking about in my paper.

John

Dr John Collier john.collier@kla.univie.ac.at
Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution and Cognition Research
Adolf Lorenz Gasse 2 +432-242-32390-19
A-3422 Altenberg Austria Fax: 242-32390-4
http://www.kli.ac.at/research.html?personal/collier