Re: information as a selection

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 13 May 2002 - 13:02:26 CEST

At 12:12 PM 13/05/02, you wrote:
>Gente,
>
>What Collier and others call potential information, isnt it just an ensemble
>of signs and signals, which for themself dont have any meaning at all, if
>they are not interpreted. Information is something actual, news, innovation,
>something different from what has been before. There is no "old"
>information. Even history is to be rewritten every time. Information depends
>on the difference from what was or from what is expected to be. It marks one
>specific event out of a variety of possible events.
>Therefore, the concept of information only works within the frame of
>communication processes which produce the specific formats and contents of
>information. Order from noise.
>
>Gottfried Stockinger
>
>Salvador, Brasil: *71 374 7563
>Vienna, Austria: * 1 983 3979

Well, since this is an old idea, I suppose there is no
information in it. Since the message contains no information,
one might as well ignore it.

John

Dr John Collier john.collier@kla.univie.ac.at
Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution and Cognition Research
Adolf Lorenz Gasse 2 +432-242-32390-19
A-3422 Altenberg Austria Fax: 242-32390-4
http://www.kli.ac.at/research.html?personal/collier