Re: Fw: info & physics

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 23 May 2002 - 07:37:00 CEST

Dear Karl, Rafael and Colleagues:

At last, the discussion is beginning to address some of the basic
issues of communication.

Rafael, your post suggests that traditional metaphysics can be
extended to include the concept of "information". But, you do not
provide us with a clue on how this extension is created. In your
view, does the extension of metaphysics to information require the
consideration of matter only? Or is time also necessary? And what
about space? Or, the metaphysics of message genesis? Or, the
metaphysics of message utilization? These questions are pointed at
the Shannon view of communication, where two or more systems and a
process of transmission are required for communication. In the
Shannon model, which is extraordinarily successful for engineering
purposes, the model requires two or more systems. Does your
metaphysic extension of "information" require two or more systems
(beings)? This question is significant, in part, because
thermodynamics, as a bilinear group, is restricted to one system and
the "non-system" surrounding the closure of the system. (Many forget
that Shannon's mathematics is restricted mainly to the engineering
problems of reproducible transmission between two systems and
generally does not address message generation or message utilization.)

Karl, I had a very difficult time attempting to understand your message.
In your usage of the term, "things", are your referring to matter,
for example, physical or chemical particles? Or does your usage
exclude the concept of microscopic "things"?

When you say:
In fact, once we agree about what is a "thing", then we shall have
solved all our deep problems, then only calibrational, technical
questions remain.

the intent of your sentence is unclear, unless you merely wish to
echo Laplace's views in a 21 st century context.

When you say:
Let me propose a very technical approach to what we may call a
"thing". This central concept involves every other concept also,
because it can only be explained in the tension between "now" and
("sooner" or "later"); "is" as opposed to "could also have been";
"such" as opposed to "any kind of properties".

it appears that you are assuming a philosophy that ignores Rafael's
proposition that:
Of course it is possible to say: everything
that is, is information (as we can say:
everything that is, is matter or whatever).

by substituting the notion of "thing" for the notion of "information."

Your "very technical approach" could be translated as a special type
of super-reductionism by incorporating temporal relations and
conditional propositions into materialism. Can you relate this "very
technical approach" to complex systems and such problems as evolution?

In your summary:

>To summarise:
>
>-- talking in logical sentences that have exact meaning one talks
>about relations of concepts to each other: this means using numbers;
>-- considering whether I talk about a collection ("cross-section",
>"now") or about a sequence, I discover that I can say differing many
>logical sentences;
>-- matching the sentences that describe as well a process and as
>well a state (the momentary state and the next step in
>one-and-the-same sentence) I shall find some sentences that remain
>unexplained (the moment contains more material than the past or the
>future); then I know what I shall term the "thing".

the concept of time is intertwined with the concept of number. How
do you justify this interrelation? At issue is the nature of
continuity.

Your conjecture:

This may appear useless gibberish but I assure you that it can be
translated into very solid number theory.

is intriguing. I find no foundation for a theory of time or
metaphysics within number theory. More critically, from a
theoretical chemical point of view, I am skeptical that number theory
can be extended directly to either chemical structures or chemical
dynamics, both of which are closely related to graph theory.

Karl, you have introduced a number of interesting issues. I look
forward to learning how you propose to transcend the gap between well
established principles of number theory and the concepts of
communication between two or more systems.

Cheers

Jerry LR Chandler

PS: Karl, I complement your adherence to the rules proposed by
Pedro. I hope others will follow your example.