Re: info & physics

From: Gottfried Stockinger <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 23 May 2002 - 19:52:55 CEST

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: John Collier <john.collier@kla.univie.ac.at>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2002 11:31

>you wrote:
>I see no reason to assume that there is any
internal processing of information unless it there is transfer of
information through external correlations. <

I doubt on the information TRANSFER. With Luhmann I state that their is no
exchange of information like it would be matter or energy or any other
"thing". Information is always something new and emergent. Ok, thats
repetition

>There are some standard
arguments from various sources, notably Quine and Wittgenstein,
that a private language is not a meaningful language. Why should I
suppose that self-contained musings contain any information
at all? I certain can't accept that this is part of the meaning of
"information".<

My argument does not point out to a private language. The language may be as
common as possible, but its meanings are not the same for the participants.
It is held private (in thought), untill it is uttered again, serving as
noise for other participants information construction. This may seem a
"radical" standpoint. But at the social level, there is no other chance to
distinguish between (personal) consciousness and (societarian)
communication.

>David Lewis proposed a view of language that involves correlations
of this sort in his 1970 book "Convention". The problem with the
view is that correlations result from interpersonal interactions, and ]
that it is these that set the meanings, not what goes on inside. It
seems to me that you are saying just this when you say "we will look at a
circuit, where intentions, expectations and meaning get its sense."<

Yes, its close to what i meant to say.

>This seems to me to place the source of the information in the circuit,
not in the minds of the participants. They can use it only because
of the existence of the circuit. This is a version of the no private
language argument.<

Yes. Communication does connect with communication, in a "regulating"
circuit. It does not connect directly to the thoughts of the participants,
which move in their own circuits.

Gottfried