Re: information as a selection

From: mark burgin <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 23 May 2002 - 22:47:24 CEST

Gyorgy Darvas wrote:

> Dar Mark,
>
> > This
> >principle states that it is possible to consider information only in
> >interaction.
>
> Accepting this statement would lead to 2 consequences (if I understood well):
> (1) one can get information only in interaction
> (2) something (e.g., information) exists only if we have got information
> about it.
>
> While I support (1),
> I reject (2).
> (2) would be valid in Platonistic ontology, (although even some modern
> followers of Plato do not support it in this strong form).
>
> Gyuri

> Gy�rgy
> Darvas <mailto:>darvasg@helka.iif.hu; <mailto:>h492dar@ella.hu
> http://www.mtakszi.iif.hu/darvas.htm
> SYMMETRION http://us.geocities.com/isis_symmetry/ <mailto:>[email protected]
> Address: c/o MTA KSZI; 18 N�dor St., Budapest, H-1051 Hungary
> Mailing address: P.O. Box 994, Budapest, H-1245 Hungary
> Fax: 36 (1) 331-3161 Phone: 36 (1) 312-3022; 36 (1) 331-3975

Dear Gyuri and other participants of FIS,
I also reject (2) because according to the general theory of information,
information is a potency for change, but not necessarily actual change (M.
Burgin THE ESSENCE OF INFORMATION: PARADOXES, CONTRADICTIONS, AND SOLUTIONS).
Thus, interaction as the essential prerequisite of information also becomes
potential.

Sincerely,
   Mark