reflection

From: Christian Fuchs <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 27 May 2002 - 00:43:36 CEST

Dear all,

I would suggest that self-organising physical and chemical systems are not just reactive, but also reflective in the sense of a "widerspiegelung": they not only react in some way, also some influence/stimuli/perturbation results in the emergence of order and structural changes, a stimuli is reflected within the structure as an emerging new quality. this reflection is not a mechanical one, but a non-deterministic one that is constrained by systemic properties.
people like klaus fuchs-kittowski and herbert h�rz have defined information in a very broad sense as reflection. i think that reflection is an aspect of information-production that can be found in all self-organising systems.
i would agree that in social systems one can speak of self-reflection and reflexion on the informational level, as well as of self-transcendence in the sense of jantsch that the system has the ability to go beyond its own boundaries and can creatively influence information-production in relationship to other systems. this will also result in communicative actions.
as for living systems i am not sure how the internal processing of signs should be called. there are already more durable, teleonomic patterns of behaviour, these systems are self-maintaining and one maybe can already distinguish a syntactic from a semantic level. self-maintainance of the informational patterns produced for a more durable time than in physical systems maybe an aspect to think of.
anyway, i would suggest to use the term reflection in a broader sense, so that all self-organising systems are considered reflective ones.

christian

  -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----