Re: Entering the Observer

From: Terry Marks-Tarlow <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 30 May 2002 - 06:34:36 CEST

Dear Fellow FISers,

I am new to your group and this is my first time entering into the rather
exciting, heated dialogue to date. I speak out now, as the work I am doing
addresses a point under discussion: the issue of complex new models at the
level of human consciousness that address the issue of the observer in the
observed. I am a clinical psychologist and this is just the area I've been
working in.

I believe the key lies in recursive dynamics, such as indicated by Varela in
his early extension of Spencer-Brown's calculus of indications.
Self-referential dynamics, by which equations re-enter themselves, provide
the paradoxical foundations for identity and autonomous functioning at
multiple levels. The paradox involves boundaries that are both structurally
open (exchange of matter, info and energy across permeable boundaries) and
functionally closed (autonomous functioning and cohesive identity). The
paradox of boundaries both open and closed also means the observer melds
inextricably with the observed.

Such dynamics tie in with ancient mythology in the form of the uroboros, the
snake that bites its tail. They connect with primitive consciousness that
circles around to re-enter itself, so that observer and observed meld,
especially at the level of self-reflection.

I and colleagues Robin Robertson and Allan Combs have just written an
article about this, currently in press in Soren's journal, "Cybernetics
&Human Knowing." I am now working on an extension of these ideas. My main
thesis is that recursive iteration on the complex plane, in the form of
fractal geometry, provides the underlying architecture of these paradoxical
reentry dynamics at multiple, recursively embedded levels of existence,
including the biological, psychological, social and cultural.

Best wishes,
Terry Marks-Tarlow