Re: Vedr.: semiotics

From: heiner benking <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 06 Jun 2002 - 19:36:32 CEST

> Dear Soeren et al.:
>
> trees are trees not signs! please
> take a look at: Octavio Paz: "El mono
> gram�tico" (The grammarian monkey)
>
> cheers
>
> Rafael

Dear Rafael
may I hug you for that one?
We not only need to see the woods, and the trees, and the signs, but how
they relate...!
waht we called "concept & context mapping":
http://www.ceptualinstitute.com/genre/benking/term/terminology.htm

Edwina Taborsky was right in acknowledging me in that PEIRCE was a surveyor,
BUT there is more to the sign and the world and to bridge building and
sea-faring...

maybe you like:

Profound Ignorance and In-Between
in: http://benking.de/Global-Change/spatial-spacial.html

where I write about the different signs, and that they are not to be
confused with the given and not-given:
************************************
Profound Ignorance and In-Between
The outcome of creating such a knowledge-space is quite unsettling and makes
people educated through nominal thinking feel very much at unease, as we map
through what is known and what is unknown. Lewis Thomas was right in saying
that we are "profoundly ignorant", that "we know very little and understand
even less" so making this obvious is often not appreciated.
People feel fine with icons (images) and symbols, but when Peirce in his
sign theory introduced something in-between what he called index they are
somehow destabilized and frightened - not able to believe in the either - or
world
of words or metaphoric pictures.

Just for the exercise we want to test Peirce's index here by considering his
third category a spacial map or model. This would create room for
communication and sensations when linking and merging of realities and
bridge the media
breaks. This in-betweening is further explored in:

 "Canyons of coded and non-coded information" in (Benking and Kampffmeyer)
The Ptolemy Conference where we considered what Ptolemy would be doing today
when asked to bridge the knowledge from all fields and cultures/languages in
libraries and museums all over the world. (Benking)
Switching systems (Dahlberg) (Judge)(Benking

a more recent update on this "think" can be found here:
http://benking.de/gebser2001.html

best
heiner

--
please enjoy my updated:
http://open-forum.de      http://benking.de
see up-date: "we are building a symbol or AGENDA21"
10. anniversary of the eve of Rio seminar June 1st. 1992
for Rio+10 und Jo'burg 2002
http://www.benking.de/raft/integral-raft-english.html
and "Bahro":
http://www.agrar.hu-berlin.de/wisola/fg/ress/bahro.html#akt
and the "ongoing debate" this week:
http://www.mdpi.net/fis2002/index.php
http://www.mdpi.net/ec/papers/fis2002/141/index.htm
or some events in July which are dear to me:
VIRTUALITY and REALITY of the MONTAINS
http://www.inst.at/berge/konferenz_2002_7.htm
Ethics in knowledge representation and organization
http://www.ugr.es/%7Eisko/isko2002/program.htm
or the exchanges re: Rio+10 or JoBurg 2002:
http://fsw.kub.nl/globus/conference/contributions/benking1.htm
http://www.benking.de/Global-Change/lifeonline_ES2002.html
http://benking.de/Global-Change/for_DESAI-ES2002-
Sept2001.html