Re: Vedr.: Re: Clarifying our aims

From: Fenzl Norbert <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 13 Jun 2002 - 16:58:42 CEST

Dear Soeren,

I have to admit that I am not very familiar with the philosophical or
psychological aspects of our discussion. And also I am not very solid in
Peirce�s works.

What I can state at this moment is that I like the idea of Peirce..." it
would be a mistake to conceive of the psychical and the physical aspects of
matter as two aspects absolutely distinct".

I also would say that "conscience is not mind" and even the idea that
"feeling is an inward aspect of things and mind an external phenomenon"
sounds interesting.

But I still must admit that I have no very precise understanding about the
relationship between mind, conscience and feeling.

I have been working for about 15 years with concepts like energy, matter,
thermodynamics, chaos, order, open systems, self-organization and
Information, etc.

In a very simplified way, I would resume: Thermodynamics "regulate" the
interaction energy-matter and consequently the irreversibility of structural
evolution. This is what produces space-time. Structural Information is the
"organizational product" of this interaction and is "transmitted" from the
past to the future. That's why open systems are submitted to deterministic
constraints AND AT THE SAME TIME have certain degrees of freedom: open
systems and open future.

My conclusions until now seem to be very similar with Edwinas statements. I
see energy/matter/information as unity which evolves during time and assumes
(so far I can see today) at least three great steps of complexities
(qualities): reactive, reflexive and self-reflexive (the exact terms can be
still discussed). Of course new qualities appear at each level of
complexity. But what is NEW is NOT information (nor matter or energy)
itself, but the qualities they assume at each level of complexity and the
ways they are related.

This is what seems to be absolutely basic for me if we want "found" a
general theory of Information.

Best regards

Norbert