Re: information

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 15 Jun 2002 - 13:58:04 CEST

Dear Mark Burgin,

>With a great interest I have read the Trialogue "Is a unified theory of
information feasible?" Your lemma is especially interesting to me because
I also research these problems...>

this is fine, thanks. I will take a look at
your paper. I believe, indeed, that we can
understand information as a second order
category (not as quality of things, but a
quality we (!) adscribe to relationships between
things) in the sense of *selection* that takes
place when systems interact and choose
from what is being offered (Luhmann). In this sense the
classical concept of 'cause' (in a deterministic
sense) is a special *effect* of *informational
causation* in the sense of *to give rise to*. This is
evident in the case of the *interpretation* of
a text (with different possibilities of understanding
its meaning) but it seems to be the case also
in non-human levels of reality that were supposed
(since modernity) to be only (!) related within
a deterministic (clockwork-like) manner. This is
what Hofkirchner and Fleissner call *actio non
est reactio*.
Birger Hjoerland (a Danish colleague) and myself
suggest this view in a state-of-the-art
"The Concept of Information" that will be published
this year in the Annual Review of Information Science
and Technology (ARIST).
We should not forget that the *advancement
of science* is sometimes due to the application of
metaphors i.e. of similar concepts from other fields,
using sometimes the same token. In this sense I
advocate for a network of *familiy ressemblances* with regard
to the uses of the information concept in different
areas. This may sometimes not be necessary or useful
(if we think, for instance, about concepts such as
*mass*, *work*, *energy* etc.), but the plasticity of
language allows us to make differences as well as to
surpass them, when we think this may open new insights.

kind regards

Rafael