RE: Reply to Barham, Holgate, Mariju�n, Collier - info in the wings

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 21 Jun 2002 - 02:30:42 CEST

Thanks Juan,

Yes I'll try out your food experiment on my retriever this weekend.

My guess is you're right - she's a tad smarter than Maturana's frog
or your average amoeba.

<I really would like to see an organized discussion of the concept of purpose
<or intentionality (I suppose they are the same).

I think we agree if there is no purposive interaction there is probably not an
informational situation. But let's not wander down the semantic track
for the momement. I am happy to suspend the word 'purpose' and bracket
'consciousness' for the life of this conference. Quotidian informational
behaviour is notoriously serendipitous and unconscious.

But how far back down the evolutionary process do we have to go before we stop
speaking of decisions and talk about automatic mapping?

<I think that only a neural information system can make decisions. Do you
<agree?

I agree with the 'neural system' bit but if we are defining information in
terms of decision-making we need to leave 'information' out of the equation -
is it necessarily a 'system'? That is what we are trying to discover.

The most interesting point in your paper for me was:

'Given a complex system, structural order alone does not represent
information-information appears only when structural order leads
to specific change elsewhere.'

That is what agency in an 'informational experience' is all about.

John Collier made the nice analogy :

'the information about spots in the butterfly genes is there, but
not much use to the butterfly -- it has to get this information to
the wings for it to be useful'

i.e. the experience of 'having spots' only becomes informational
for the butterfly when the genetic 'spots' (structural order) lead
to a specific change in the wings. The physical spots ('info-mation')
become 'in-for-mation' - data in context for an observing system
(say, for a predatory creature)in an environmental interaction.

In the same way this email (structure) does not become a message
for somebody unless there is an interactive change in the recipient's
mind etc beyond the 'limbic' reaction of hitting the delete key.

I think informational agency possibly operates across the spectrum of
interactions from protein binding to courtship behaviour and database
searching - but that needs cross-disciplinary research to justify.

We should continue to compare notes.

Cheers,

John H