RE: Reply to James Barham - true lies

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 01 Jul 2002 - 09:46:26 CEST

Hi James,

Thanks for your insights.

<That is why it makes sense to say that a pharmaceutical molecule which imitates
<an enzyme's natural substrate closely enough to trigger a conformational
<change via the low-energy interaction at the active site, but is
<different enough to gum up the works when it comes to the enzyme's
<high-energy functional action, has in effect "fooled" the enzyme. Here,
<I believe, we are already seeing the roots of information use.

I believe this 'fooling interaction' has counterparts in other domains -
camouflage among flora and fauna, courtship rituals, politicians'
sleight-of-hand , poetic license, viral replication etc which are accepted as
'true lies' and part of 'living' (surviving and thriving).

<In short, one can ban the word "purpose" from the discussion, but one
<cannot banish the phenomenon itself

The 'intentionality' can be seen as part and parcel of the informational
'experience' (Lat experior - 'trying at'). Is the 'purposiveness' of, say
ligand/substrate binding expressed as an automatic 'fitness' (this shape only
fits that shape) or was the match determined elsewhere?
Was it a chance encounter or a match made in heaven?
Was the poor old enzyme simply 'love's fool'?

I think it is a similar question to Pedro's about the abduction of energy in
laughter and blushing - where the blood flow to the cheeks has an informational value
beyond the original purpose (Juan's 'producing change elsewhere'):

'there is a bypass of an unnecessary surge of brain blood related to a
cancelled action of escape which is redirected towards the face'

As with phantom limb pain there is a kind of somatic 'fooling' in
which the informational 'special effect' (blush, pain) has an
emergent intentionality apart from the original purpose (cause and effect).

Do we kinda agree?

John H