Petition: We The Peoples Believe Another World is Possible

From: elohimjl <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 16 Jul 2002 - 20:59:55 CEST

** Please disseminate widely - with apologies for duplication **

http://www.twnside.org.sg/title/people.htm

--
"We The Peoples Believe Another World is Possible"
While the WSSD negotiations are limping along, a global campaign
is launched today to stop further corporate takeover of the
planet, governments and the United Nations. Target: one million
signatures for Johannesburg.
"We the peoples"
"We the peoples" are the resounding opening words of the 1945
United Nations Charter that reaffirmed "faith in fundamental
human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in
the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and
small".
However, the corporate person has now become more powerful than
the human person, and even most States. Treaties meant to protect
the planet and peoples from the devastation of climate change,
toxic chemicals and dangerous technologies are fast becoming the
battleground for protecting narrow and short-term economic
interests.
"Corporate driven globalization"
Powerful governments oppose, then dilute through negotiations,
and eventually still walk away from treaties dealing with life
and death issues, violating the good faith of international law
making. At the same time, new rules and policies are made that
create more rights and obligations, privileges and access to the
corporate sector. The ten years between Rio 1992 to Johannesburg
2002 have been a triumph for corporate-driven globalization,
driven by mercantile forces and economic liberalization.
It is alarming for many citizens groups to see the downgrading
and weakening of the UN, and the escalating influence of the
international financial and trade organizations that do not hold
to the spirit and principles of "We the peoples". Governments
that serve more the commercial interest than peoples' interests
prefer to empower institutions like the IMF, World Bank and WTO
or retain control through unequal bilateral or regional
agreements. Governments who could galvanise political support and
energy for the United Nations are keeping silent.
Being held in financial ransom for so long, the UN secretariat
seems to expect less of itself, and invites the corporate sector
to join in partnerships that are very risky. Many governments are
part of that tide, too. To invite the polluter and exploiter to
deliver sustainable development and to be part of decision-making
is to jeopardize the ability of the State to be the arbiter in
the interests of "We the peoples".
"Strong, ordinary citizens"
Yet, in the midst of financial crises, corporate scandals,
unstable economic conditions, increasing trade protectionism
while the mantra of free trade is trumpeted, and ecological
crises, there is much hope, too. "We the peoples" have always
spoken out and acted when there is injustice. Ordinary citizens
have gone to the street against the oppression of IMF conditional
ties, corporations that poison their lands and bodies,
governments that violate their rights, trade rules that throw
them off their lands. Citizens from the North are joining in mass
protest against the forces that tear at the fabric of industrial
society itself, and that undermine the sustainability of the rest
of the world.
There is a wealth of innovative good practices and experiences in
many countries. Many are rooted in time tested traditional
knowledge and systems, and others are innovations that have
evolved through experience and the needs of particular societies
at different times. Alliances of peoples - communities, NGOs,
scientists, women, youth, some governments and parts of the UN -
are actively working with each other at all levels, especially at
the community level. Where there is democratic space to organize
and to influence government policy, these experiences can be
spread, further evolved and even made to become mainstream
policy.
A number of common principles that inspire these citizens'
sustainable development initiatives include: respect for local
cultures and knowledge systems; genuine harmony with nature;
quality outcomes of real benefit to local communities and
countries; and equity and democratic involvement. With solidarity
and collaboration we can build on these and more so that we can
indeed reshape corporate-driven globalization and return the
planet and institutions to "We the peoples." And when thousands
of concerned citizens and activists gathered in Porto Alegre,
Brazil early this year in the counter conference to the World
Economic Forum of industry, the theme was: Another World is
Possible.
A global campaign "We the Peoples Believe Another World is
Possible" is thus launched today in conjunction with the day of
celebrations of seeds by farmers across Bali
One million signatures
As a first step, one million signatures will be the target for
citizens' groups to bring to Johannesburg. This collective call
will be taken to every part of the UN, and to every meeting of
the WTO, World Bank and IMF. It is a call to every government
that they return to the peoples, and not be privatized into the
hands of business. It is a celebration of the courage of women
and men, young and old, who struggle daily for their rights, for
their communities, for the environment, for a healthy planet, for
justice and equity. "We the peoples" is a celebration of
diversity of seeds, the freedom of soils, water and air from
corporate takeover.
The petition for the campaign is as follows:
WE THE PEOPLES BELIEVE ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE.
We are committed:
* To change the course of corporate-driven globalization and
development paradigms that destroy peoples and nature.
* To reject technologies and products that endanger nature,
health and life such as genetically modified organisms, nuclear
technology and toxic chemicals.
* To reject the patenting of nature.
* To reclaim nature and the rights of indigenous peoples and
local communities.
* To reclaim our national governments and the United Nations from
corporate takeover.
To sign on, please send email to twnet@po.jaring.my
--
elohimjl