Re: Semiotics and abduction

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 07 Aug 2002 - 20:45:59 CEST

Edwina, Soeren, John et al.

from a phenomenological (and particularly from
a Heideggerian) perspective, the key point
concerning the *emergence* of *meaning*
seems to be the *leap* from determinacy
to indeterminacy (or from the *ontic* to the
*ontological*). In the terminology of systems
theory we (!) can make a difference between
*Mitteilung* (= something can be understood
AS this or this or...) and *Information* (= the
choice between these possibilites) and
*Verstehen* (the integration of such a choice
within a particular context) because we are
not fixed with regard to our horizon of
understanding. This seems not to be the
case with other living beings, at least not in
the same range of openness. So, what a *sign*
may *mean* changes basically with the *leap* from
a (more or less) closed framework into an
open framework. But it is not the sign itself
(any sign) that can *produce* such a leap
and of course indeterminacy itself. This
argument should take us probably to think
about the relation between information, logic
and time (following Weizs�cker's paths?)

Rafael