Svar: RE: Vedr.: RE: Is FIS in semiotics and what is abduction?

From: S�ren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 14 Aug 2002 - 13:35:23 CEST

Dear John

Thanks for the very profound understanding of my points. I guess you are right that the pattern fittings covers a range from nearly mechanistic to nearly intentional.

 My Book "The Island of Science" is unfortunately only in Danish (Videnskabens �) and published by Nordic Summer University. You can find it at
http://nsuweb.net/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Publications&file=index

or start at http://nsuweb.net/html/index.php and take publications.

We are only five millon Danes so we simply have learn other languages form early on to survive. Gives a different attitude, I guess.

Best wishes

S�ren Brier, +45 3528 2689

http://www.flec.kvl.dk/personalprofile.asp?id=sbr&p=engelsk

Ed. of Cybernetics & Human Knowing

http://www.imprint-academic.com/C&HK

S�ren Brier, +45 3528 2689

http://www.flec.kvl.dk/personalprofile.asp?id=sbr&p=engelsk

Ed. of Cybernetics & Human Knowing

http://www.imprint-academic.com/C&HK

>>> "John Holgate" <HolgateJ@sesahs.nsw.GOV.AU> 08/13 8:09 >>>
Dear Soren,

Thanks for your elucidation of abduction.

I see there are different schools of thought within Peircean semiotics.
Your frames of reference are slightly different to Edwina's.

<I do not believe that life and mind can be adequately described by mechanistic models and energy <based causality and I do not think that information science will do the trick either.

I wouldn't argue with that. As an information worker knowing what information is
is and does is part of my raison d'etre. Other kinds of scientist can probably take it or leave it. I am interested in the linkages between consciousness, experience and informational conditions - what it is and does as distinct from what it 'means'.

No, Information Science will not 'do the trick' on its own - it remains a pisspot science.

I applaud the conclusion of your paper and your 'four corners' metaphor (as long as we don't retreat into our own professional space) since it attempts to save the individual mind from the rock of reductionism and the reef of solipsism (these days largely inhabited by scientists and
philosophers respectively).

<I see information as a kind of formal cause working through pattern "fitting".
<Meaning is communicated through sign games as final causes and at the level of
<linguistic self-conscious free will, you might talk of existential causes.

I have a mental picture here of Helmslev and Peirce holding hands with Kierkegaard (:

Your reference to 'formal cause' reminds me of David Bohm's observation that the
radio signal alerting the pilot (active information) is not causality at work
(like with say the propulsion of the airplane itself).

Is your pattern 'fitting' a spontaneous or an intentional phenomenon?
My personal hunch is that the 'fit' is fuzzier than we think.

Cheers,

John H

PS I spent a delightful Christmas in Aarhus in 1997 with
my wife's Danish relatives. Why are the Danes so damn good at
spoken English (compared to the rest of Europe)?

PPS I have been trying to track down a copy of your Island of Science
in Australian libraries. No luck. Is it still for sale?