Re: opinions vs knowledge - misinformation?

From: Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 29 Aug 2002 - 14:53:04 CEST

Yes, I agree with much but not all, of what John Holgate says. I am
aware that Pedro finds my criticisms of subjective opinions
'uninteresting', but we cannot, as rational beings, operate in a world
of personal opinions. That would be living in Plato's Cave. What we
conclude, must be based on evidence -both actual and logical.

[John Holgate]
If opinions are low-grade beliefs and knowledge is justified true
belief then opinions and knowledge are not binary opposites but part
of a continuum of belief ranging from 'subjective'
fanatacism and evangelism to 'objective' scientific truth. The
opinions of Giordano Bruno were considered illogical and evangelical
in their time. Later they became acceptable beliefs
and components of a body of knowledge. Given other circumstances even
Charles Peirce
(or Germaine Greer) might have been burnt at the stake for heresy.

[Edwina]
No - here I would disagree. You are defining knowledge and truth as
resting only in the 'most common' opinion. You are retaining its
definition as a 'belief' and defining their validity only when they
become believed by the majority. This is merely moving, in Plato's
Cave or Bacon's world, from the belief held by the individual to the
belief held by the group. From 'doxa' to 'pistis' for Plato' - and -
Bacon's 'Theatre'. And - the fallacy of 'the popular opinion'.
Whether held by one individual or a group, it's still an opinion and
unless grounded in real hard empirical proof as well as logic - it's a
fallacy.

[John Holgate]The truth of a belief is not in its logicality but in
its justification.

That pregnant unwed mothers should be decapitated is quite a logical
belief for the Nigerian government but it is not an (ethically)
justified belief.
[Edwina] Again, a belief can't be defined as truthful only if
justified. That is setting up a Truth Formula where your premisses can
be completely invalid but, as long as you have premisses, then, you
define your beliefs as 'valid'. ie.
    All unwed mothers are evil.
    This woman is an unwed mother
    Therefore, this woman is evil.
The premisses are opinions and require proof. The society has to
define the nature of evil and the actual proof that an unwed mother
actualizes that. I think that all the society could do to justify
itself would be pure tautologies. It cannot prove, empirically, that
there is any relationship.

[John Holgate]What role does 'information' play in all this? Is it, if
it exists at all, a kind of ubiquitous
crap-detector or a cognitive mist we have to pass through to get to
the truth?

Luciano Floridi's paper addresses the question from a hardcore logic
perspective
with his 'alethic' approach but the jury is still out.

In my view misinformation is a distortion of true belief rather than
an absence of information altogether.

Your opinion?

[Edwina] I consider misinformation both a distortion and an absence.
If someone tells me that 'women are nurturing' and 'men are violent',
then I consider this merely an opinion, unfounded as well as
misinformed. Therefore, it is an absence of information, for if the
speaker went to empirical tests, they would find that the statement is
simply, empirically, false. Their conclusion is ignoring information,
and takes the next step of simply 'making up' the conclusion...without
any evidential premisses.