PROCEEDINGS FIS e-conf. & exchanges

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 30 Aug 2002 - 14:25:22 CEST

Dear colleagues,

This is to remind all of you that the contributions to the Proceedings of
our conference have to be ready before 15 November, to appear in the
December issue of the e-journal Entropy. Two reviews (to be included with
the contribution in a separate message) are necessary. For standards,
formats, etc. you may directly check at http://www.mdpi.org/entropy/
-------------
About the ongoing exchanges, well, the regular sessions have not started
yet and these are just Summer comments, better to be taken 'cum grano
salis'. But in any case I seriously recommend the book by JM Allman on
'Evolving Brains' (Scientif. Amer. Library, 1998). It contains a great
summary on how the evolutionary process has been shaping the vertebrate and
mammalian brain, including a couple of great chapters on the role of sex
and the behavioral consequences, pressures, conflicts, tradeoffs, etc.
associated to the male-female dichotomy in Homo sapiens and in the whole
group of Anthropoids --we are not alone. It is a fascinating reading and it
may help to focus 'scientifically' future debates (presumably biology and
neuroscience have something to say, no?). About the role to be played by
the sciences --or particularly by information science-- in the
misinformation of our time (I take this point from John H. message) I
suggest connecting the topic with the discussion of Heiner Benking�s
contribution, when he deals on the Rubik cube and the cognitive panorama of
the present ecological crisis, and also with my own intro to fis 94
proceedings (on info and the system of the sciences:
http://fis.iguw.tuwien.ac.at/fis94/introduction.html). Also, John C. sent a
very interesting quotation on Locke's personal classification of the
sciences... the changing map of the sciences, and its social use, is a
great topic to interweave in our future debates.

best regards

Pedro C. Mariju�n
Fundaci�n CIRCE
CPS, Univ. Zaragoza, 50018 Zaragoza, Spain
TEL. (34) 976 762036-761863, FAX (34) 976 732078
email: marijuan@posta.unizar.es