RE: opinions vs knowledge - a View from the Cave

From: E. Taborsky <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 06 Sep 2002 - 14:50:34 CEST

> (By the way, to Edwina, Elohimjl is the name you could not spell
> properly--I believe you complained once to Jerry about his 'Edwinia'
> spelling. The best for our list, with all its heterogeneity of backgrounds
> and fields, is to keep a discussion atmosphere of strong courtesy and
> tolerance.)

The reason I could not spell the name properly is because I am at
a different computer. This has nothing to do with being
discourteous and intolerant. If I were either, I would simply mispell
the name and say nothing, but I admitted that I might well have the
spelling wrong. Why is that an action lacking in courtesy and
tolerance? The reason I can't spell it correctly is because I am, for
the next few months, away from my home computer. I have no
email files. I have no way of accessing my old files and seeing the
correct spelling. If I were at home, I would easily check the spelling
by looking at the old files. I don't have that opportunity here. Now-
why is that action, where I admit that I don't know the correct
spelling, an abuse of courtesy and tolerance?
Edwina Taborsky
Bishop's University Phone:(819)822.9600 Ext.2424
Lennoxville, Quebec Fax: (819)822.9661
Canada JIM 1Z7