Re: opinions vs knowledge - The Cave is Constructed

From: Fenzl Norbert <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 07 Sep 2002 - 17:37:08 CEST

Dear all,

It is really have some difficulty to understand how we can think that
"logic" is a (narrow) human invention!!!????

We DISCOVER the world and the universe around us but we don't INVENT it. We
discover slowly by slowly how the world "works". We transform a given
reality and by interacting with it (mostly still in extremely "unconscient"
way) we produce changes and we (RE) invent things. And so on.. This is the
process of evolution.

To think that LOGIC has something to do with my individual understanding (or
agreement) seems to be a kind of very radical anthropocentrism. Or however
we call it.

If the world is what it is, and if I don't agree with a lot of things (in
fact I don't agree with war, racism, crazy dubble yuu�s, etc...) it does not
mean that there is NO LOGIC in the whole process!

If I perceive something as a chaos, it doesn't mean that there is no
intrinsic logic in it.

Logic also doesn't mean determinism! This would be in fact a very narrow
understanding of logic.

I am not sure, but I think Ted said: "I wonder what the FIS agenda is
thought to be by anyone who assumes logic is somehow embedded in the
mechanics of the universe."

I don't think that I understand correctly: first of all the universe is not
at all "mechanic".. the view of a mechanistic universe has been overcome at
least 100 years ago. Of course I think that there is an intrinsic logic in
the evolution of the universe, our solar system, our planet, and the whole
evolution (including ourselves) on it.

Or, maybe we should define clearly what every one of us understands by
LOGIC.

For me, a system has its intrinsic logic - if its regulations, laws and
interactions lead to pragmatic consequences, which are NOT deterministic
(!), but are "free" to happen in a frame of limited possibilities (given
exactly by the logic of the system).

And I think that this discussion makes sense when we try to understand and
define the concept of INFORMATION.

There is an obvious relation between logic (how I am used to understand the
concept) and structural Information of an open dissipative system.

regards
Norbert