Re: Is Information a Disease?

From: Terry Marks-Tarlow <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 21 Sep 2002 - 01:11:20 CEST

Dear John,

As a therapist, I find the metaphor of information, disease and people
really interesting. In my work, emotional exchange is foremost while
information has somewhat limited value, depending on its kind and sources.

An obvious example is that sometimes information about a person's diagnosis
is not only not helpful, but damaging. At other times, it is very, very
useful. All depends on the specifics and psychodynamics of the case.

One place where information appears particularly damaging is with new
mothers who are extremely anxious about doing the "right thing" with their
babies. They sometimes respond to anxiety by compulsively gathering
information -- asking everyone they know for advice, reading book after
book. Inevitably, they gather opposite points of view and then screech to a
halt about how to proceed. In this case, the search for information comes
out of extreme insecurity and mistrust of their own natural instincts.

Hope this isn't too far off base in our discussions.
Terry Marks-Tarlow